Burnham Family 2012

Burnham Family 2012

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Official Big Girl!


Well, it has finally happened. My little girl is officially a big girl, she sleeps in a big girl bed, goes potty in the toilet and she gave up her soother. Which is a huge deal because she literally has never slept without it. So it was a very stressful thing, and I have been dreading/excited for this day.

So it all started with us going over to our friends house, and that night they cut their daughters soother too, so we thought it they can do it we can too. We wanted to do it on a night where there wasn't vacation renters upstairs because we knew there would be lots of crying, so we checked the schedule and it was almost booked every night until June, except this 3 day period which was the last 2 nights, and tonight. So we realized that we had to do now. So we have 2 soothers for her, but one she never uses..its kinda like the backup if we ever loose her purple one. So Taylor took it and cut a slice in it so their was no suction, when she went to suck on it she pulled it out and screamed "YUCKY" and then she said, "Cut sooder" so we said "OK"?? We were shocked, so we took it and cut off the top and she helped. Well needless to say, a couple hours after not going to sleep and screaming and crying because she missed her soother, and begging for the orange one, we gave in. Like it wasn't mad crying, it was an emotional very hurt kind of cry. I seriously felt like the worlds biggest jerk for even thinking of taking that away from her. I mean, she literally doesn't not know how to settle down for bed without it, it was such a comfort to her. But right after we gave it to her, she fell right asleep.

But the next day, Taylor took her orange one and cut another hole in it without telling me...because at this point I couldn't bare seeing her that sad again (I know, pathetic right?) But later that she went to take her nap, and she noticed it was yucky again, but she could still get some suction, so she went to sleep. Later that night she came up and said she wanted to go to bed, so I said ok. I saw her lay down and suck on her soother for a few minutes and then she came running out saying, "cut sooder," and Taylor and I said, "Madilyn, if you cut this there are NO MORE SOOTHERS." But she just kept yelling, "CUT SOODER." So we got out the scissors and let her cut off the top. So a couple hours later she finally got settled into bed and she kept asking for them, but we showed her the cut soothers and she seemed ok with her choice. But then I think she came up with every excuse in the book to not go to bed, so finally we left her and she cried for a good 20 mins I would say. But she finally passed out!!! Yeah! She did it, but she did wake up earlier than usual. And for nap time, she cried again for another 15-20 mins, but passed out again from exhaustion. It was a shorter nap, but she still did it. So I am just hoping tonight goes smoother. You can tell she was ready to do it, and she knew what she was doing...but it still makes it hard for her to let it go and learn how to sleep without it. So hears to hoping tonight goes better.

I think for Eliza we will get rid of the soother before she turns 1, so its not such a hard attachment to break. But I am excited for the big changes Madilyn has made in these past few months. She is officially a big girl.
My Big girl, just winding down by watching a show!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Madilyn!!! She did it. Now my question is how do I get Noah to stop sucking his thumb? Can I cut it off? JK. You've inspired me to get on the ball with that one. Yikes. Isn't it funny how much of a dread things like this can be??? Aaaaah! She IS a big girl and her hair is looking so long and beautiful! I miss you guys! When can we Skype?

    ReplyDelete